Sunday 22 February 2015

We made our own playdoh




One thing my little household goes through almost as quick as a loaf of bread if not quicker is playdoh!
If it's not found its way smudged and dried up in my shaggy rug, it's been put back in a tub without a lid and gone crusty.
Now £1 for a big tub of playdoh really isn't a bad price but I thought while the girls have a week off we'd have a go at making our own, when we made salt dough around christmas time Daisie sat and played with it for hours so it seemed the perfect half term activity for us to do,
It was so quick and easy to do we were able to whip up a batch within 1O minutes so it's the perfect activity to do with children where the fun doesn't end with the making.

You'll need

2 tablespoons of cream of tar tar (optional)
1 cup of boiling water
1 cup of plain flour
1/2 cup of salt
1 tablespoon of cooking oil
Food colouring
Glitter (optional)
Pepper mint oil (optional)

Put all of your ingredients into a bowl and mix together, Mix until it starts bonding together and becomes harder to carry on mixing. Once it starts forming a ball kind of shape no matter how much you mix leaving the other sides of the bowl clear of any mixture take it out and knead until it starts to feel and look like playdoh. It will be hot when you take it out of the bowl so be careful with little hands near that can't wait to get stuck in.

We used gel food colouring as the recipe we followed suggested they gave a more brighter colour but I think we may have needed two of each colour to get a more vivid colour than we did, our blue came out in the perfect 'Frozen' inspired colour which we used silver glitter in but that batch ended up in the bin as I never reboiled the kettle. So note to self re boil the kettle with each new batch being made or it just won't form well enough to use.
 

LarabeeUK

8 comments:

  1. I have immediate respect for ANYONE who has the patience to make their own playdough! I have tried on multiple occasions and it gets me so stressed out i have decided it easier for my wellbeing to just buy it!!

    Thanks for linking upto #ToddlerApprovedTuesday, hope to see you again x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleasantly surprised how quick it was over with I was expecting to turn into a huffing ball of stress like I usually do with cake baking, Thank you hosting hoping I an link up regularly :) x

      Delete
  2. I'm a real homemade play dough advocate I love making it, I find it so therapeutic :)

    Hope your children have lots of fun playing with it. Thanks so much for joining in with #toddlerapprovedtuesday x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed and just how quick and easy it was to make, it seemed like it was over and done with in minutes.

      They absolutely loved it, my youngest hasn't stopped asking if we can make some more :)
      Thank you for hosting, hoping I can link up regularly x

      Delete
  3. I love homemade playdough! Yours looks fab, love the colours! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) They didn't come out as bright as I'd hoped but the girls loved them x

      Delete
  4. I made homemade playdough a few months ago and its still going strong, I'm so pleased with it!! I have a couple tubs of the bought stuff then a few colours homemade. Amelia loves playdough, can't wait until she can help make it. Yours looks fab, thanks for linking up #MummyMonday x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed how long it actually lasted! Its only not still going because it was left out of its tub for so long and the dog stealing it but even then we still managed to rescue it after it had gone a bit crusty, It's so much fun having them be able to join in :) x

      Delete