Tuesday 20 January 2015

Taking it back - Birth story edition | Daisie


As I didn't have a blog when I was pregnant with the girls I'm going to do random 'Taking it back' posts. 
Starting with Daisies birth story as it's the eventful one!

14th July 2O11
It's induction dayyy!! With my induction time coming up in a few hours so a soak in the time before I set off, Andy rushes upstairs with my phone it's the hospital they have no beds to start my induction to night and I'm to call in the morning to check if any beds have become available.


15th July 2O11
8am phone call from the hospital they finally have some beds available to start my induction.
Quick flap around to find someone available to take me in to have this little lady we finally arrive by 1Oam in time for my bed.
Wrist bands given shown to my bed and a few rules gone over it was time to wait for the nurse to become free to start me off with my first pessary I'd heard them mention to the lady opposite there was a 3O minute to an hour delay, I met the midwife that would be caring for me had all my checks done and she gave me my first gel at 12:45 she said she didn't expect it to be very long my cervix were very thin and she could feel Daisie's head very low down (YIPEEE) I met a child doctor who explained everything that would happen once Daisie was born who said I could go and have a look at the special baby unit to see where Daisie would be going if I wanted to take a peek, The gel wasn't doing much and it was finally time for my second gel 7pm the midwife checked me over and I was still only 1-2 cm dilated. 
Second gel done here come the bad boy contractions!! With some time to pass we decided we'd go and have a look at the special baby unit after a quick peek the man on duty was concerned my waters might go while there so back to my ward we went. Contractions still coming strong and hard so I took some paracetamol and codeine neither did anything by now I was shattered and just wanted to sleep but laying down was impossible so the midwife offered to check me over with all that pain surely some progress was made? Then came the news no one wants to hear when they are in that amount of pain STILL only 1 almost 2cm dilated so the midwife offered me some pethidine after asking all questions possible about it affecting baby she gave me some pethidine along side a anti sickness injection. 
Then she decided to let me know it can work in two ways totally stop/slow down labour or speed it up WHATTTT? 
After the pethidine kicked in I was finally able to settle down enough to get some sleep and relax, We were told all day that it wouldn't be long and baby would be here so with me settled for sleep Andy headed home. 
Just as I started to nod off POP! As casual as ever I say to my mum 'something just popped, Yeah it was my waters its running down my leg' Off she went to let the midwife know over hearing the midwife say yeah I'll check on her in a minute while I'm calling Andy hoping he'll feel his phone vibrating in his pocket and pull over, No answer he wouldn't be home for a good 1O minutes as he literally just left I knew because his bike was that loud. Along came mum back from alerting the midwife then comes that pushing urge so off ran my mum to let them know I was now pushing in came flying the midwife checking me over with one of the most shocked faces I've seen she asked where Andy had gone, Telling her he had gone home she said get him here NOW! I jumped from 1-2cm to 8cm delivery suite was rang and a room was being sorted for me as a second lady came in with a wheelchair for me with a baby pushing as hard as Daisie was sitting in that wheelchair going over bumps was not the most comfortable, We arrive at my room with the cleaners still in the poor cleaners were practically screamed at to get out and how I wouldn't care that the floor was dirty! Once in they told me to get onto the bed with the help of the midwife which almost ended up covered in sick helping me out of the wheelchair because I'm polite I swallowed it instead of throwing up all over her YUCK!
On the bed I get, before I know it Daisie is crowning and there she was at 23:23 placed onto my chest as perfect as ever and just as I'd said through out my pregnancy she was small and had lots of hair just like her dad did. It happened so quickly that it took Andy all of 14 minutes and being followed by the police for speeding to get back to the hospital he walked in as Daisie was being cleaned up and dressed.
We had our cuddles then it was time for me to have a bath and for Daisie to be taken up to special baby unit for an x-ray and to have her breathing monitored for the night.
With Daisie tucked up in special baby unit by daddy for the night after her first bottle I was taken back to my ward lets just say the sickness injection didn't work and I painted the cube shaped toilet in sick I've never seen so much 2 bowls and a floor filled. 

Looking back at my notes once we were home my 3 stages of labour were
1st stage was - O1.15
2nd stage - OO.O8
3rd stage - OO.19
I'm sure you can see how Andy manged to miss Daisies birth.


Have you been induced? How was your experience with it?

1 comments:

  1. Wow what a quick labour!!! Good and bad I guess such a shame your OH missed it!! Sorry I'm so late stopping by had a mad busy week but hope to see you again from tomorrow linking up with #mummymonday. Thanks!! Co-host x

    ReplyDelete